There were originally three of these small tank engines, built by Sharp Stewart in the early 1860’s and in Cambrian days they carried the names Magnolia, Gladys and Seaham. In 1922 they arrived at Swindon for rebuilding and didn’t the GWR make them look smart? Renumbered 1192, 1196 and 1197 they returned to the Cambrian system in 1923/4. This loco 1196 (shame it didn’t retain it’s Gladys name) was transferred to work the Hemyock branch for a short spell before returning to Oswestry to work the Tanat Valley line, until withdrawal in 1948 after putting in a remarkable million miles for such a small loco.
- BR Standard class 4 4-6-0 no. 75068
- LMS (ex Caledonian Railway) Macintosh 0-4-4T no.15128